Certified EVMS System
Our client was a prime contractor for the Department of Energy (DOE). Based upon the size and complexity of projects, the client wanted to ensure that all projects were managed in compliance with the DOE’s Earned Value Management System (EVMS) requirements as detailed in DOE requirement 413.3. Once developed, the client’s Project Management System needed to become EVMS certified.
Management Solutions supported our client with developing and implementing a formal Project Management System for a key division within the DOE site being managed. This effort included developing formal procedures and educating existing engineering and project management staff on the basics of earned value project management and project controls systems. Management Solutions performed the following tasks to help accomplish this mission:
- Evaluated the client’s work processes/systems and performed process flow-mapping to ensure all funding requirements and constraints, as well as internal processes, were captured and impacts understood for the various project types.
- Developed project management procedures for the five-phase project flow process (Initiation, Planning, Execution, Control, and Closeout) to provide consistency across projects and project managers, and ensure compliance with the principles of project life cycles as documented by the Project Management Institute (PMI) and ANSI/EIA requirements for EVMS.
- Established an on-site Project Controls group to integrate existing estimates, costs, schedules, and technical percent complete information into a single overall project tracking system (Primavera).
- Developed and provided training to our client’s project management and engineering staff to improve understanding of required processes and ensure consistency in implementation, as well as a thorough understanding of Earned Value Management System (EVMS) guidelines.
- After the Project Management process was formalized, our client sought EVMS certification on the program. Just six months after the decision to seek certification, the system was reviewed by an independent third-party DOE EVMS contractor and pronounced ready for certification
- This system helped the client to achieve a level of informed decision-making that enabled them to thrive and implement growth strategies, even while facing the constraints of a more competitive funding environment within the Department of Energy